Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Day 38, September 1: blue-bonneted bicyclist

Mishawaka, IN to Angola, IN http://cyclemeter.com/85ef50859d8f1e5c/Cycle-20150901-0732
Trip distance: 72.8 miles
Total trip distance: 2199.4 miles
Average speed: 13.3 mph
Maximum speed: 30.8 mph
Riding time: 5:29
Weather: I left at 7:30 with a temperature of 68° and a dew point of 66°. The temperature rose 10° by 10:45 AM and the dew point got to the lower 70s in the late morning and stayed there all day. Temperatures reached the upper 80s by the mid afternoon. No wind in the morning and not much in the afternoon. Its direction varied from southeast to south to southwest at maybe 5 mph.
Terrain: uphill 1537 feet, downhill 1221 feet. My gradually ascending route went through a glacially shaped landscape of flat lands alternating with small hills created by moraines.




This route continues the path across the northern tier of Indiana that I began the day before. At the halfway mark I entered Amish country, I then went by hunting and fishing areas, and finished by taking US 20 into Angola.

There was rain in the forecast and I wanted to beat the heat so I left early. Once again the temperature and dew point were nearly identical and with no wind so there was a lot of mist. I was not surprised to see lots of traffic coming into the South Bend/Mishakawa area but I was surprised at the sizable outbound traffic. The photo shows the narrow shoulder--it varied from 0-6 inches so I had bouts of white knuckle riding as groups of vehicles passed me. The traffic gradually decreased over the first eight miles or so. A couple of miles later I got on to a series of bike lanes and paths beginning in Elkhart's northwestern neighborhoods and extending 25 tranquil miles to Shipsewana. Many of these bike ways follow the St Joseph River. Elkhart has about 50,000 people and bills itself as the RV capital of the world. It has an RV Hall of Fame.

Mishawaka commuters in the mist. 
A hydroelectric power station on the St Joseph River in Elkhart. Not much wind.
The St Joseph River before it enters the east side of Elkhart.
This giant set of mushrooms in Middlebury, IN is part of a garden originally displayed in the 1933/34 Chicago Worlds Fair.
The Pumpkinvine Nature Trail is part of a regional network of trails that connect Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury and Shipshewana. 
When the bike ways ended in Shipsewana I entered a more lightly populated farming area which was predominantly Amish. I had seen a few Amish on bicycles on the bike network but in the farm country I saw how important bikes are to this group of Amish. This contrasts greatly with my own area, which also has a large Amish presence, but I don't think I've ever seen an Amish person on a bicycle in my area. Topography must be part of the explanation for the big difference. This part of Indiana is relatively flat while my area is hilly and would be a real challenge for the sturdy and heavy Amish bikes. Amish communities may also differ in how much they will embrace modernity as represented by spiffy new bikes--some of the Amish bikes I saw looked pretty flashy.

Blue-bonnetted bicyclist in Shipsewana. 
Amish girls and boys playing softball during recess. The bicycles next to the school building caught my attention.
A whole lot of bicycles of various sizes. Some have fat tires and others have pretty skinny tires.
Amish bicycle shop.

The next part of the ride went by the 12,000-acre Pigeon River Fish and Wildlife Area.
Shady road passing through the Pigeon River Fish and Wildlife Area. A deer is standing in the last set of shadows on the left side of  road. 
The unincorporated community of Mongo is in the middle of the fish and wildlife area. The facade of the former Mongo State Bank has been reworked. and the building now houses the Mongo Tavern.
I finished the ride on US 20. Unlike yesterday's stint on US 20, this one was pleasant. The shoulder is very wide so I was well insulated from traffic and could enjoy the views as I ascended and descended the biggest hills of the day.

Roadside memorial for a young firefighter on US 20 just inside the Angola city limits. 




No comments:

Post a Comment